Last year we had lots of requests from our Grace for trick or treating, this year we’ve only had requests for a brilliant Halloween night like last year. Last year we shared our Halloween fun to avoid the lure of trick or treating and it clearly worked so I thought I’d share our plans for tomorrow in case you’re facing the same dilemma.
So yesterday was a full moon. Not in our house, the full moon is tomorrow. To little eyes it will still look almost the same and will make Halloween twice as scary.
As you can see from our beautiful picture, the posters have already been created – please note the weird green glow in the middle of the picture just appeared when the photo was taken!! Weeeeiiirrrrrdd!!!!
The first plan is to hunt from some twigs and sticks to make into our own broomstick. Then we’ll be carving our pumpkins. Then creating pictures to decorate our walls. Then we’ll be creating some little baskets to collect our treats – just make a cone with black or decorated paper and tape on a paper handle.
Then just before dinner, we’ll raid our dressing up box, get out the facepaints and create ourselves some scary Halloween monsters! Then off we’ll fly to dinner on our newly created broomsticks.
We’ll be rummaging the larder for scary dinner treats – I’m thinking snot ball peas piled in eggcups, fried eggs with pretend chicks sitting in the yolks, slime mash (mash helped along with a little green food colouring!) all topped off with bloody ketchup. For pudding we’ll be hunting for treats.
Treat hunting….The lights will be dimmed for dinner and once we’ve cleaned our plates we’ll be having a little treat hunt. here are our top tips to make a scary treat hunt:
- turn the lights off in one room and light a couple of candles
- cut tissue paper into strips and hang from the door
- hang a sheet from the light with black eyes pinned on
- if you’re able to buy any, add a couple of lit glow sticks – one per child scattered around the room
- scatter a few sweets around
- place a daddy under a blanket in the corner of the room
- once the monsters have started to find their treats replace some of them as they go round. they’re always amazed when they keep reappearing in the same place!
- at the perfect opportunity, daddy can wake up and start scaring!!!
Until last year I wasn’t a Halloween fan (I’m still not hugely to be honest) but we had such fun last year and we’re now all looking forward to the fun tomorrow. Put your thinking caps on and see what fun you can have!