As today promised to be a sunny Autumn day so we had a little web search of the local area to get inspired for a day out. We chose Beale Park – or Child Beale Trust as it was when I was little. It’s a wildlife park just outside Pangbourne in Berkshire and offers lots of animals, outdoor space, play areas and picnicking (though the good old weather forecast was slightly wrong and our picnic was actually eaten cheekily inside the toy display room!!).
Here’s a quick photo story of our day…
Despite the rather cold weather we all had a lovely time. If you’re wondering whether to go, here’s a quick run down of what’s on offer:
- train ride around the site
- lots of animals including lemurs, deer, meerkats, peacocks, capybara, marmosets, prairie dogs, owls, water hog and squirrel monkeys (the definite favourite of the day!)
- animal trials – how fast can you run? how many times can you flap your wings? We had a lot of fun racing along a 5m track to see who could run the fastest. We achieved 9.8 mph, it was a wet day and no matter how hard we tried, 10 just wasn’t in the offing.
- old school toy display – lots of childhood favourites. They absolutely definitely don’t make toys like they used to!
- titanic display – hundreds of model boats, ships, yachts as well as model planes. There’s something about model ships that is really exciting.
- play areas with sand pits, climbing frames and paddling pool (funnily enough not very popular today!!)
- duck feeding
- very nice (and warming) hot chocolate!
We’d recommend a trip out – though do take your scarves and gloves if it’s outside the warmer months as it was rather chilly today!!
Take a look on their website for more details – www.bealepark.co.uk